Beyond Trails in the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming: Off-Trail Routes for the Advanced Backpacker Second Edition
The fifty routes presented in Beyond Trails in the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming are the tip of the iceberg of the off-trail potential of the Wind River Mountains. The focus is the alpine highlights of the range. Most routes are not easy and will challenge the hard-core backpacker. The author will be the first to admit that others have lived more days and traveled more miles in the Wind Rivers than herself. This guidebook is definitely not a comprehensive guide to the Wind River Mountains. The routes offer a sampling of the off-trail potential of the Wind Rivers.
This guidebook is intended for the advanced backpacker. However, we have observed that even those who already possess the skills to travel rough off-trail terrain often fail to achieve their objectives in the Wind Rivers. Thus, a bit of hand holding, in the form of detailed travel plans, will insure a greater chance of success for those experienced in the art of backpacking yet unfamiliar with the Wind Rivers. The more difficult routes are intended for those who already possess basic mountaineering skills and the judgment born of experience that allow them to safely travel through terrain with significant objective dangers. Read the route descriptions carefully before committing to undertake the more difficult routes.
About the Second Edition
The second edition largely follows the same format as the first edition however some route numbers and names have changed. So, what are the big changes?
- More miles verified! Thru-route testing in 2012, obscure nook and cranny exploration in 2014, updating trail conditions on the Wind River Indian Reservation, new destinations and on-going verification as conditions change in 2016.
- A database! More than 1,200 route segments drawn with TOPO® and attributed in Excel®, assured consistency and facilitated “tweaking” most routes. Some were reversed, some lengthened and some shortened; most refined for the better.
- By popular demand, three “thru-routes”.
- New maps, printable and “zoom-able”, all now on a CD, freeing book pages for the thru-routes.
- Photos! Greatly expanded “Virtual Tours” in vivid color presented on the accompanying CD.
- Logistical details are now incorporated into the Introduction so all general information is in one place.
This unique guidebook covers the following areas:
Dry Creek, Bear Basin, Baker Lake, Torrey Creek, Twenty Lakes, Bridger Lakes, Tourist Creek, Baptiste Lake, The East Fork, The Downs Fork, Atlantic Canyon, Bonneville Basin, Deep Creek Lakes, Little Sandy Creek, NF Little Wind River, Cirque of the Towers, Slide & Pixley Creeks, South Fork Bull Lake Creek, North Fork Bull Lake Creek, Brown Cliffs and Alpine Lakes, South Fork of the Little Wind . . . and more!